Questions to ask at the Career & Internship Expo
· What kinds of skills and experience do you look for in the employees you hire?
· What are the characteristics of your most successful employees?
· Are graduate degrees important to advancing within your organization? Which degrees?
· Which courses or experiences do you suggest to be a successful candidate?
· What kind of entry-level positions (or internships) exist within your organization?
· Does your company hire on a continual basis or just at certain times of the year?
· How long does the hiring process take? What does it consist of?
· What percent of applicants are eventually hired? What is the retention rate?
· What can a typical employee (for the position I am seeking) hired in your division expect to be doing 2, 5, or 10 years after hiring?
· What is your organization’s culture like?
· For how many years does the typical employee stay with the company?
· Are there opportunities for ongoing training through your organization?
· Do you expect your employees to relocate? How much travel is involved?
· What made you choose this company and why do you stay?
· How long have you been with the company?
· What’s the one thing that most surprised you about this company?
· May I contact you with further questions? Do you have a business card?
· What are some key qualities you see in the most successful interns?
· How long have you been offering internships?
· Could you tell me more about the company’s services? How do you contribute to your community?
· Could you tell me more about the company’s mission and how it guides and motivates your work?
· How did you begin your career at company ________?
· How would you describe the company culture?
· How often do you hire interns for full-time jobs?
· Is there a formal training program for interns? What can I expect in my first day or week on the job?
· How will you evaluate my performance?
· How have you managed interns in the past?
· Who will I be working with?
· How much interaction will I have with other employees?
· What kinds of projects will I work on as an intern?
· What are the biggest challenges for this position?
· What resources should students take advantage of and focus on in the duration of their internship?
· What are the next steps in the application process?
· May I contact you with other questions? Do you have a business card?
DO NOT ASK:
· How much will I get paid? (Save this question for after they've made you an offer)
· Dress in business attire
· Hand out copies of your resume
· Shake hands & introduce yourself